Did you know?
Immediately west of the CHQ Building, this arch was originally built in 1813 to celebrate Wellington’s victory over the French at the Battle of Salamanca the previous year.
Grand Canal Docks
At the time of their opening in 1796 these docks were the largest in the world. The contractor, John McCartney, was knighted during the opening ceremony.
John Rogerson was a merchant, ship-owner, developer and Lord Mayor of Dublin. In 1713 he secured a lease on 133 acres of marsh south of the River Liffey and immediately started work on the quay that would transform the area.
Dermot Desmond had for a long time proposed establishing an International Financial Services Centre. Sandyford and Ballsbridge were suggested but in 1987, Charles Haughey insisted it be established on the northside at the derelict Custom House Dock site.
Opened in 1821, the CHQ Building is one of the most important industrial heritage buildings in Ireland. One time its 56 vaults stored 4,500 pipes of wine. Today CHQ is the home of EPIC – The Irish Emigration Museum.